9 Habits for a Clean Home and Peace of Mind
You know those people with perpetually clean homes? The kind where you can drop by whenever and their place is always spotless? Safe to say, we all have one of those friends who makes keeping a beautiful and tidy home look effortless. Maybe even you're that person, but if you're not, don't lose hope. Keeping a clean home is as simple as employing a few basic habits that make tidying large messes more manageable. We've broken them down into 9 easy steps for you to do each day until they become second nature.
1. Make the bedWhen you're waking up in the morning, smoothing the sheets and fluffing the pillows might be the last thing you want to do. But one of the easiest ways to make your home look clean and tidy is by making the bed every day. Studies have also shown that making your bed every morning increases your productivity through the rest of your day. Try to make your bed before you run out of the house each morning, or at least pull the comforter up to the pillows and smooth out the creases. Better yet, you can also use the Wrinkle-B-Gone to smooth and refresh your sheets. That way, you can crawl into a fresh, clean bed after a long work day.
2. Clean handles and light switchesSome of the germiest places are the surfaces that everyone touches all the time, like doorknobs, faucet handles, cabinet pulls, and light switches. Since bacteria and viruses can live on surfaces for several days, it's important to disinfect them every day. For an all-natural clean, spray the Nellie's All-Natural All-Purpose Cleaner on a lint-free cloth or paper towel and wipe them down. It'll take you less than 5 minutes and instantly makes your home cleaner and healthier.
3. Fold and put away your clothes
It's tempting to leave your clothes in a heap on the floor when you're getting into bed, but don't underestimate how much cleaner your home will look if you fold, hang, or place them in the hamper before bed. Not only will your room look better, but you'll feel better mentally if your clothes are out of sight and not strewn about your bedroom.
4. Do a quick sweep of the floors.Especially if you're a pet owner, dust can accumulate quickly. Grab a broom and do a quick sweep around your baseboards and under large pieces of furniture to nab any dust bunnies at least once a week. Vacuuming will be a breeze!
5. Wash and put dishes awayWashing dishes is easy with your Nellie's All-Natural One Soap, and can be fun if you put some good music on and make it a dance party! Wrangle your partner or kids to help run the dishwasher as well as dry and put away the dishes, and then rest easy knowing there's no pile of dirty dishes to deal with in the morning.
6. Clean the kitchen sinkStudies have shown that there is more E. coli in a kitchen sink than in a toilet bowl (gross!!). As bacteria feed on the food that is put down the drain and dishes left in the sink, it's vital that you scrub your sink daily. Use the All-Purpose Cleaner to spray the sink basin and then scrub the germs away with a clean paper towel.
7. Wipe down countertopsLike the kitchen sink, kitchen countertops are germ magnets. Since sponges and dish clothes are often loaded with E. coli, they just spread germs around and make your countertops dirtier. Spray the All-Purpose Cleaner on countertops and wipe them down with a clean rag or paper towel at least once a day.
8. Tidy up the bathroom
It's amazing how one quick wipe down of bathroom mirrors, sinks, the toilet, and the shower can make your entire house feel cleaner. Every evening, wipe out the sink, clean toothpaste specks from your mirror and faucet, and give the toilet bowl a good scrub while you're brushing your teeth. Use the Nellie's All-Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner for a sparkling toilet.
9. Put away clutterLast, but certainly not least, put away stray papers, used glasses, and electronics cluttering your desk or kitchen countertops. It'll make it much easier to start your day fresh and focused if you don't have to deal with mail and other stray items left out from the day before.